1. To begin this onion bread recipe, start by preheating the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Place the flour, onion, oil and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Place the yeast in a small bowl and add half the water, stir to combine. Add to the flour mixture along with the remaining water.
3. Work the dough with your hands until it is just sticking to the sides of the bowl. Remove the dough from the bowl and knead on a lightly floured surface for 10 minutes. Alternatively, mix with a dough hook on medium speed for 6 minutes.
4. Place the dough into a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling film. Prove in a warm place until double in size. This should take 45minutes to 1 hour.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and firmly knock back, by using your fist to flatten the dough. Now gently shape to the size of the loaf tin and place inside to prove in a warm place for 1 hour, this time covering the tin with a tea towel.
6. Place in an oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. When ready, remove the onion bread from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. When you are ready to serve, slice generously or tear into chunks.